Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Last Revenge of the Gallbladder

Well my wife is home, for that I am grateful. However what we had to go through, both unavoidable and avoidable, leaves a lot to be desired. Basically we had the surgery on Friday and her gallbladder is no longer with us. It took an extremely long time, but that is just the way it goes sometimes. However, I do have to wonder about the whole someone has surgery, then they make loved ones wait in the waiting room, only to be called back to their room in the end. Now I understand that they might not want the family to be in the room so that they can get her situated or whatever.

But the problem is you are stuck in limbo, not wanting to leave because they might call (there is a phone and you sit there waiting for it to ring) and wanting to eat wanting to make phone calls or whatever. It puts one in a very precarious position. Anyway, That is done, and for that I am happy.

But I am not through. I came down with feeling like a head cold... sneezing, snotting, achy pain in my spine... I pretty much became useless to anyone. At the worst possible time. So where do I turn? My teen-aged daughter. She was the only person I could turn to really. And I feel awful about that, but it could not be helped. I feel bad because already there is this feeling of inequality in our house, and to counter that I try not to ask anything of her. I had to ask this time, even though I really didn't want to.

And to make it worse still, the songbird threw up. Probably with the same head cold, and she threw up big time. Repeatedly and wide spread. Right before dinner at that. It was gross. I can't really remember a time vomit seemed appropriate, so I guess it just comes with the territory. To her credit, the songbird did make it into the bathroom, not the toilet, but on to a hard floor (no carpet) and then threw up her entire stomach on the floor and walls. It was weird. She just stood there in the middle of the floor throwing up.

So anyway, that was another mark against me, I could stand the smell, I just couldn't stand up. And who wanted to eat after all that throwing up? Not I... not really. The only one who was interested was the one person who did not eat in a week. So now all of this is behind us... sorta' I mean there is the bill for the thing... which I'm sure will be outrageous... and there is the whole not working thing too... which I believe is a double negative, although I am resistant to stating it as such to any bill collectors.

No comments: