Thursday, November 19, 2009

Not My Manliest Moment

Weird how when doing something does not equate with saying you'll do something. What I mean is, doing it and saying you're going to do it, are two completely different animals. I got reminded of this the other day while at work. I almost never post on what I do at work, that is on purpose. I find that it really doesn't help (or hurt... hopefully) and it can make for some weird situations, so I make it a practice to never write about work.

Anyway we were up on the roof, with a ladder. a really long ladder at that and we had to cross a section that required a "jump" to get to the other side. It looked small. like more of a hop, or really a step... but then came the actual doing part. I call it a jump. All I could think about was my family and what would happen if I died doing something this ridiculous? But it needed done, and we did it. Hell I didn't even climb the ladder either.

But I did hold it so that the other guy could climb it. And something happened. I don't know if it was the sun glaring down or what, but I was just a few inches from falling like 20 feet, which would probably hurt something awful, and I could no longer look up and keep a steady hold on the ladder. I had to look down, otherwise I would feel weak in the knees.

I can't really describe it, but there is something profound about your legs turning to butter when you are high up, and inches away from falling to your (perceived) death. I am not crazy about heights, I mean I'll do it if it must be done. Heck climbing a 6 or 10 foot ladder doesn't bother me, but anymore and I get antsy... add more, like say a balcony or rooftop and a ladder, forget it. I don't know why but it is just that way.

No comments: