Thursday, November 12, 2009

I Endorse... Fire

I had a fire over the weekend. You know, inside the fire pit, roast some marshmallows kind of fire. It was at this time that I decided that life is full of these special moments... if we want to make them special. I was out there, stoking the fire with my teenager and 3-year-old. Reminiscing on fires gone by.

That is kind of weird right? But it is true. I think of places in my youth, like the backwoods or the creek or even later when I was an adult in northeastern Georgia. Granted it is much more organized than it was back then. We would just gather up brush, or a fallen tree or what have you. Now I buy the wood, who would have thunk it? But I do, and it is much more contained in my little fire pit than it ever was in times of my youth.

But the effect is the same. It is the calming of the fire, the forget everything else and just watch the fire, that doesn't really change, and yet I can't take my eyes off of it. Just sit back and enjoy the show. I hope that for my daughters the making of a fire is equally magical and undefinable. It just is. It can be that way if you have a fireplace, though it is not the same, and honestly, the amount of time you will use it doesn't seem to justify the cost, and if there is natural gas involved... forget about it.

But I do recommend you take that fire pit, or just dig a hole (saving the grass) and make a fire over the weekend. Even if you have to buy some wood like I did, It is one of the simplest pleasures I know of... one I don't think any of us should do without.

No comments: