Monday, November 30, 2009

I Endorse... Fatherhood

It is a nice feeling, being a dad. What I'm saying is, since my wife was put on bed rest and now with having to care for the baby, I have taken up the role of bringing my 3-year-old (the songbird... a new name, because she is always singing) to daycare.

Now I did not like this, or want this... It was out of my way to work, adding 30 minutes to my trip (one way), plus I'm really not a "morning person". Turns out that neither is the songbird. So we have two people that hate mornings together in the mornings. Sounds like Broadway's next hit.

Anyway I'm resigned to facts. That I will take my daughter to "school" until the new year. And that is ok, I mean nobody is going to give me a fat check or an award, but we for the most part got down to a routine, that works for everyone. So on one particular morning, one where we are early, which is not very often, I pull into the drop-off area and we have 5 minutes to kill.

So I turn on the CD player, take the songbird in my lap, and just jam. She shows me her moves, I show her mine, and we are for the most part inside a moment that will soon end, but for that brief moment there is nothing else that matters. Not work, not school, not sisters, or mothers or anything else. Just us, jamming out to one song. That is why I love being a dad.

No comments: