Monday, November 9, 2009

Good Daddy

You know you have them... those days when you wake up early ready to go, you are going to arrive early at work, maybe leave early too, and then.... it happens. Somebody takes those plans that you had for the day, crumbles them up, and leaves them in a wad, while you are left wondering WTF?!?

That person for me is a very cute, innocent (looking) 3-year-old. Now she doesn't mean to be "that person", she probably doesn't even fathom what "that person" is... but she is "that person" for me. You see it all started over a pair of socks and a bagel. Doesn't it always? Yeah, so the socks were too thick, thus causing a problem with the shoes. Rather than fight with her (my 3-year-old) I just went upstairs and got a different pair of socks, put them on her feet, and I didn't even make her pick up the old ones... because I thought I could still make it... I was wrong.

Next we move on to the bagel. A strange request, because usually it is a yogurt or an applesauce, but on my way upstairs, I ask my wife, who let me sleep, and has been up off and on all night, what is the deal with the bagel? She (the 3-year-old) says she wants a whole bagel, my wife said, hell to the no, give her half and then break it in half, that is what I always do... Well you can see there are conflicting reports there.

I bribe my way out of it. I tell her she can have a cheese stick (which she has everyday anyway) if she will take the half. She agrees, and everything is said and done right? Wrong. We get to daycare (what she calls "school") and she proceeds to tell anyone that will listen... "Daddy only gave me half a bagel."

So now who cares about getting to work early? I just want to go back and give my kid the whole bagel, let her waste it, and be the good daddy again.

No comments: