Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Double Bad Guy(s)

Just to add to the "You're a bad daddy" theme, the same day that I was a horrible daddy for not letting my kid eat a whole bagel, instead only offering a malnutrition laced half a bagel, later that day it comes time to go to bed. In the span of 2 seconds my kid goes from happy and sitting on my lap, to... Linda Blair, exorcist crazy.

I mean it was so bad, it was funny... and scary all at the same time. Funny because, everyone knows that once your bedtime comes, there is no getting out of it. Scary because she almost hit the baby in her blinded rage... twice. That is when I scooped her up and side armed her, still kicking, and screaming, and arms a wailing... to her bedroom. I know once it gets to this point, it just doesn't stop, it is going to be like this for awhile.

So my wife is taking care of the baby, leaving me to fend off the onslaught of everything a 3-year-old has to offer. There is a lot of Why's in there, but it is useless to answer them, because of the state she is in, I simply heard her back to her room. And this part is funny, if you were there, because trying to rationalize with an angry 3-year-old is like trying to rationalize with the wall, or a drunk, or an alligator... you simply can't. So in between the fits of rage and the why's and herding her back into her bedroom, we (my wife and I) can't help but laugh.

Maybe I am a bad daddy for laughing, but if something is funny... I laugh. And my wife too, in fact once I had my fill of 3-year-old hatred she took over, and I got to hold the baby... which was now awake because of all the ruckus and my wife is now the bad guy. And that is what makes me think that my marriage to her will stand the test of time.

When we both are the bad guy, united in our child rearing efforts, it is a good thing. And the next day? Our 3-year-old woke up and acted like nothing happened. And we all love each other in the end... until the next bedtime comes around. :o)

No comments: