Friday, June 12, 2009

Classic Film Friday: Popeye

If anyone knows me, they know I really like this movie. I tried to review another movie... Cabaret, but I couldn't get into that movie at all. I think it was Liza Minelli, but that is just me. On a similar note... Sweeney Todd (2007) was also highly acclaimed, but revolting to my tastes. We finished neither (who wants a singing barber that kills people?) and put them back in the mail for some other person to watch.

Popeye on the other hand, is a completely different story. Robin Williams plays Popeye, the sailor man. Shelly Duvall plays Olive Oyl and is set to be engaged to Bluto (Paul L. Smith). Popeye is looking for his father (Ray Walston), estranged since he was a infant. Will Popeye find his pap? Will he find his true love via Sweet Pea? Does Popeye eat his spinach and show Bluto who the real man is? Will Wimpy ever get a hamburger with somebody else paying for it?

And I must say, this movie has it all, singing, dancing, fighting and comedy... there is something for everyone.

No comments: