Friday, June 5, 2009

Classic Film Friday: MASH

You know I had to review this movie, I mean I've been to Korea, I feel I have a connection there. And whether it is just like that, or the movie made it like that, I had similar experiences or worse. Now I don't know about the betting on a football game part, but the promiscuity is all there and I had a house boy, who for a dollar a day cleaned my uniforms, shined my boots, and generally kept things nice. I was one of the most screwed up people in my unit, but the 1st sergeant thought I was the most squared away. It is all in how one perceives you, not what you really do.

Anyway this is a story about 2 surgeons who were drafted and went to Korea during the war there. It was originally released in 1970, during the Vietnam War, so its anti-war, anti-establishment message was well received when it came out. It stars Donald Sutherland (Hawkeye) and Elliott Gould (Trapper), along with Robert Duvall as Major Frank Burns, Sally Kellerman as Major Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan, Tom Skerritt as Capt. Augustus Bedford "Duke" Forrest and a long list of others.

It is a "day in the life" sort of movie, but it is a lot of days and a lot of weird situations. They are on the front line and they see lots of death, they try to compensate with crazy. It works, as it is very funny, and on a personal note it helps to stay a little crazy when you are in strange surroundings. I could tell you some stories, but I'll save that for another time. This movie can be seen on the Roku.

No comments: