Monday, June 29, 2009

Celebrity

Well then, I don't have the celebrity even close to the death of Michael Jackson or Farrah Fawcett nor do I possess the political prowess of say... Mark Sanford, but I am not without trouble.

I was reminded of a story by a long time friend who was passing though the area, I haven't seen him in 10-15 years, but anyway here goes...

We were in Korea together, he was my boss, we lived in the same barracks. Basically, we had our barracks on the top of a hill and we walked (daily) to the PX (a kind of store on post) and they had a Dodge Viper there. They had some kind of deal, where you could pay for your car and have it waiting for you, paid up a full year (because nobody could drive in Korea, civilian cars anyway) in advance. I really don't think the Viper was there for that though, I think it was considered "moral support" basically to make troops feel good.

Anyway, further along up the road was the Main Post Club. We went there regularly. And it was after a night of drinking and carousing that we stopped by the Viper (like 2 or 3 in the morning) and got in. It didn't even have handles (that we could see... though it might be from the liquor) on the outside. We got in by opening it from the inside and sat down.

It was then that my friend decides that he is going to "pop start this baby"and has me get out and push. It lasted all of 3 feet, we hit a pole (the car never started), and were too drunk to care. It was funny, at least to us. I can't for the life of me understand why they had that thing out there.

After that, they put some chock blocks on all four wheels. We never again tried to take the Viper on a cruise but the story lives on...

No comments: