Monday, May 17, 2010

The Oil Spill

I think you know which one I'm talking about. I'm glad I don't live around there anymore. But I've been glad for that since I left the area 17 years ago. I hope that they find a solution to this epic problem, but more likely than not... they will make it worse. I don't know what this means for Louisiana seafood. I doubt anybody does, but you could always look at the news and fishermen would be complaining about something. This may be the straw that broke the camel's back. Or maybe not, I truly don't know.

It makes me sad. To think when we would go to Grand Isle/Port Fourchon and catch fish all day. I probably was never going back anyway, but there is something about having the choice. I guess they (BP) made the choice for me. But I don't want to put it all on them. Even way back when we would get those tar balls in the sand. Was it from lackadaisical safety regulations or something else? I really don't know, I just know it was. now it might be a little different, I'm not there so we really don't know. It is a terrible catastrophe that has happened, but it some respects you know it had to happen sooner or later.

I'm not trying to seem blasé about this, but we are all human. We have a heavy industrial-chemical-petroleum base in the Louisiana/Texas part of the Gulf of Mexico. With us being human, this was bound to happen... sooner or later. All we can hope now is that we learn from this mistake and make it better than it was before. I hope that is what they do.

No comments: