Thursday, October 15, 2009

This is a Copperhead! Ok Not Really

You see this snake?



Yeah it is cute huh? It is a banded water snake, it is non-venomous, but anyway let me give you a back drop on the picture. See it was early in the morning, a weekday which means something inside me does not really want to get up. My 14-year-old has to get up earlier than I do, and she was taking the dog's outside to do their business. And then, the snake appears, or so I hear, at my back door.

My wife who also can't get up, tells my daughter, "take the dogs out the front door", so my daughter complies by the time she gets back the snake is gone and we think that is that. We were wrong.

The snake, being a snake, finds a place to hide, and hides there for several days. In the meantime we seal up the back porch, that is screened to make sure the snake or anything else cannot get back in. This involved fixing the sweep on the porch door. So then my daughter is picking stuff up on the porch later in the week and out comes the snake.

I did say he was non-venomous, but that doesn't mean he won't bite. Apparently leaving the snake trapped with no food for several days is not good for the snake's temper. We used to catch snakes all the time, and I can never remember them trying to bite, but this one was either ornery, or we made him that way by trapping him with no food/water for days. Yeah I screamed like a bitch, ok maybe not quite that bad, but still I shooed him along and everyone was much happier.

1 comment:

Bob G. said...

MH:
Had ME going for a few moments...looks damn similar to a copperhead (especially if you're half-awake)...much like the CORN snake (harmless) looks like a CORAL snake (which IS venomous).

Yeah a real "kodak moment" there!