Friday, May 1, 2009

Classic Film Friday: Stormy Weather

This movie caught me by surprise. You see I really do watch the movies the week I list them, and I really didn't know that this one was an all black cast.

Bill "Bojangles" Robinson plays Bill Williamson a World War I vet that is telling his life story. Selina Rogers (Lena Horne) is an established singer, and Bill knew her brother in the war (he was killed). The two hit it off and before you know it, there is a bit of romance between the two.

There is song and dance a plenty and some of the performers of the day as well... Cab Calloway, Fats Waller, Nicholas Brothers dancing duo, singer Ada Brown, and dancer Katherine Dunham. There is 20 different musical numbers in all and it is only 77 minutes long. Check it out, it is kind of light on plot, but with all the music makes up for it.

No comments: