Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Crash

And so there I was, making a rue with my daughter, you see a rue is a thing of beauty. How good it is, simply depends on how long you are willing to wait... and how much muscle you have. You are basically stirring a mixture of oil and flour, until you think your arm is going to fall off. I like a dark rue, almost like chocolate, but this time we settled for something a bit lighter.

I was making gumbo, real gumbo, not any of this crap I see at local eateries. My wife was away on a business/school trip, and I wanted to surprise her when she got home. Well, I'll tell more about that later, but for now I'm talking about that connection that is made when two people (myself and my daughter) have the same goal. And I took literally leaps and bounds in getting to know my daughter, and her getting to know me. She cooked pretty much the whole thing, I helped, but the accolades belong to her. It was nice, and I put my head down after a long day of preparing gumbo and slipped off to sleep.

Then my wife comes home, I am crashing, and everything else pretty much goes to hell. Because my wife wasn't here to see me making progress with my daughter, and because she is very wary of me when I have a low blood sugar (it was 20 or something the night before I had a stroke, and she blames that on it all) so instead of making sure I'm ok, people have a tendency to lash out, because it is human nature.

I "woke up" sometime after the great gumbo surprise happened. I didn't growl or bark or do anything negative, but I really don't remember what I did. I was sorry, and I told everyone so when I did wake up, but the damage had already been done. So at this point, I was in damage control, instead of accident prevention.

I can't really explain how it is when I come off of a low blood sugar, but it is kind of like being drunk and waking up at the same time, except you know you didn't have a good time and people are worried about you. It basically sucks, but there is very little, if anything, you can do about it.

I patched things up for the most part with my wife, promised to be more careful, promised to let someone know if I am crashing, and I patched things up with my daughter, because she was blamed for me having a low blood sugar, and that is really not fair to her, but as a back up she now knows what she should do. But ultimately it rests on me, and I've got to do better, So here is to doing a bit better...

No comments: