Sunday, May 3, 2009

FEMA trailers

Ok this story hits close to home... sort of. FEMA has said the deadline for returning the trailers is May 1. Well as you may have already guessed, some people are having a hard time with that. Here's the story. I can understand that people have been ripped off, or mishandled the money or whatever. My grandmother lived in a trailer, she received it after Hurricane Betsy in 1965. And was still living in it some 30 years later.

I don't think today's "travel trailers" are quite like my grandma's (mawh mawh if your from New Orleans) trailer. It was a two bedroom, one bathroom deal, and it had been moved three or four times in those 30 years. Then again, maybe it was, I really don't know.

You could say, "hey why did your grandmother live in that trailer so long?" She liked it there, and really didn't mind it at all. She was also opposed to the color TV, I can remember going with my father to seek out a black and white TV set, because otherwise my father would be over at her house adjusting the color everyday.

So what am I trying to say? Home is what you make of it, my mawh mawh appreciated what she had and didn't ask for anything more. Maybe that trailer is still in use today, My father sold her trailer and the one he was living in along with 6 acres of land to move into a more citified manufactured home on 1 acre of land. I miss the trailer, the land, and especially my mawh mawh.

No comments: