Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Pool Party

I've always been a kind of low rent guy, I mean through working and marriage I've somehow slipped up and managed to get in to the mid-rent sector, but at heart I'm still low. Maybe that the Army talking, or even my childhood, I really can't say. But I was used to people not having the money to pay there electric bill, driving a what I call a Mississippi paint job car, and essentially not partaking in the finer things in life.

Now I have a sprinkler system, live right up next to a lagoon, and have a screened in back porch. Life is good. Certainly better than I ever would have imagined even 10 years ago. So anyway we were at our community pool (yet another thing I wouldn't have dreamed of) and I overhear these people who are either oblivions or trying to make everyone hear them, that are so not what I come from, that it actually pains me to hear them talking.

I'm just a working schlub who made his life a bit better than my parents. When I was growing up, we had less than 800 square feet for at least 5 of us, sometime less than that. Now I have more than 2000 square feet for 4 of us. So back to those people they were talking about boats and parties and so on and so forth... The guy looks all buff and the girls are skinny and I'm thinking I don't have time, nor do I feel good enough to workout, go to parties or much of anything else after working a solid day. How do they do it?

I don't know but here is one telling clue. One little boy, of which belonged to one of the "aristocrats" came to my wife and asked if she could fix his goggles, his mother was only steps away, but he wanted my wife to do it, and she did. Later the same kid tells us "get out of MY way... please." It takes all kinds to make the world go around, but I do have trouble with some of the higher sect.

1 comment:

Southern Focus Designs said...

you are soooooo right! I can't stand people that think they are better than they really are.