Tuesday, May 6, 2008

VOX

I know I said no shooting straight from the hip, but this thing bothers me. And at first I thought it was a good thing, but now I don't. I'm talking about the VOX or Latin for "voice". People basically call in to the newspaper and say pretty much whatever and then that gets put in the newspaper (which is free).

You could say, "uh hey MH, that's pretty much what you do" and you'd be right, but believe it or not I do feel some responsibility in my posts, and for the most part if anyone cares to reply (in the comments or by email) they can, but there is absolutely no account in the VOX. And maybe that's the problem, it's not really communication because the transmit button is stuck, there really isn't any receive in there... if you know what I mean.

Then we come to the really bad part, the paper is low on content just throw some VOX in there. Literally they don't need anything but one person, to copy down what they say, and you have pages and pages of content. No investigative reporting, or any reporting at all. It's cheap, it's prevalent, and the dumb public loves it.

Maybe instead of VOX it should be called rapere, lethe, or simply the plagiarization.

No comments: