Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Late Night Cruises

It seems a little nuts to me, to turn an accident into anything more than an accident. I know alcohol was involved, but you just never know when your number is going to be pulled. In case you don't know what I'm talking about this past weekend was prom, and of course a teenage boy out at 3am was hit by a drunk driver, and the drunk driver was Latino, probably here illegally.

About a year before I met her, my wife had her a Toyota MR2, convertible, and from what I hear, it was nice. Then while driving in Hilton Head... pretty much in the middle of the day, a drunk totals it. He rear ended her. He also was Latino and here illegally. She still has problems with her back, and no the person who did it had no insurance. She was wearing her seatbelt at least. That was 5 years ago.

It sucks, it down right sucks, but honestly you probably would not be here if Latino laborers weren't here, working to make that possible. What I'm saying is, we can only control what is in our hands, we have no authority over anything else. We only have the power to change ourselves. Should the drunk driver go to jail? Yes. Should the boy, who was not wearing his seatbelt hold some (not all or even most) of the blame as well? Yes. How many people travel at 3am? Why do you think that is? I hope this boy pulls out of this, I really, really do, but I'd hate to see him as a poster child against illegals. You simply can't make it a "If _____ wasn't here we'd be ok" it just doesn't work that way.

2 comments:

Southern Focus Designs said...

I partially agree with you.

This wreck was just one of those things that happened...and if the illegal had not been here it could have still happened. BUT...this is a reminder to many of how serious the immigration problem is and how much it costs us.

There are many accidents that are caused by illegals...and that makes us all pay more for car insurance. This poor family will have to pay for the medical bills because he was not insured.

This is just a reminder of a problem that was already here.

I was astonished when the story in the paper said that this boy did everything right. He did just one thing wrong...he did not fasten his seatbelt! So therefore, he did not do EVERYTHING right!

There are so many peices to this and none of them are easy or pretty to look at. I just hope that he comes through it ok.

Mad Hatter said...

No question it is a reminder, but really we expect it to be like this. And it can happen to anyone, but this is shaping into a mob scene, and that's not so good.

I hope he comes out ok too.