Sunday, May 25, 2008

Adventures in Bedding

We have bed issues. I mean really bad bed issues. Last night we spotted beds at Sam's and we came to the conclusion that we shouldn't suffer any longer. But the problem is I don't really have an appropriate means of getting said bed home. We decide that another dreaded night with the old mattress is inevitable, but first thing in the morning we'll get the bed. In fact the price is so low we haven't looked anyplace else. (Maybe a mistake by us, maybe not.)

So we go back to Sam's, get the bed, and strap it to the top of our mini-van. And let the adventure begin. We opened the sun roof and checked the bed's position and headed west down 278 at the blazing speed of 35 MPH. We soon realize that at 36 MPH we hear a "buzzing" noise... We keep going anyway. It turns out that the plastic wrapping was making the noise. No harm I think, but we think holding on to the bed is probably better than not.

Then we get to the bridge... the one that connects Hilton Head Island with the mainland... and the wind picks up substantially from there. I'm still holding on to the bed, my wife is driving and all I can do is laugh. Once we get over the bridge I have my wife pull over as my hand is really cramping up. It seems that there has been some shifting but for the most part the bed hasn't gone anywhere.

We switch sides with me in the driver's seat now as the whole stroke thing has left my right arm pretty much useless. Everything is going well, but I did not hit one red light in Bluffton, so if you want to know how to do that, simply drive 35-40 MPH and you'll escape the town without ever having to stop. Except we were kind of counting on stopping... so now we 're both holding onto the bed, arms cramping, and still a ways to go.

And that's pretty much my story... well there was almost hitting a sign right about Eagle's Point, but other than that, nothing much. We got the bed inside and took a nap on it, and have this story of strapping it down and dragging it home to tell now.

No comments: