Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Stupid Machines

I was going to post something about gas prices but instead blogger got assy. Which is funny, because hotmail has been assy all day. Which is now today's subject. Why oh why do we let stupid little things like this drive us crazy? At work my entire analog life revolves around 4 or 5 programs, all of which have to be connected to some far off place, you're lucky if you even seen it. If for some reason it goes down, I almost feel like a kid again, but it always comes back up.

But that is the way the world is now. I think when I retire I'm not going to take any more technology than required, a very meager existence, but then again in 20 or 30 years who knows what new fangled equipment they'll come up with. I wish they'd make personal transport more personal. Like Star Trek's beamy thingee or maybe Futurama's pipe deals. Imagine you live in Colorado but you work in New York or even somewhere in Europe... yeah that'd be sweet.

3 comments:

Alex said...

I work in IT and I'm so sick of technology you wouldn't believe it. I want to un-learn things. I've removed a lot of tech stuff from my life (including that short-lived BT tech column...that was torture).

But I get so pissed off when I can't get to my bank web site or whatever. It's sad how dependent I am on this stuff.

On the flip side, I am excited to see what's coming up in the next 10-20 years and beyond. I want some crazy stuff.

Mad Hatter said...

I feel you pain. IT guy huh? I'm not that far from you in careers, sorta. I'd tell you, but not here out in public.

How was the BT column torture? I had some good friends that worked there, and they always wind up leaving for something better. But your the first to say torture. lol

Alex said...

The people I worked with at BT were fine...I actually felt bad because I pitched the idea of this lightweight tech column, wrote a few, and then realized I hated technology. I didn't want to answer questions about Mac vs. Windows, HDTVs, whatever. It drove me up the wall.

So the torture wasn't really BT's issue -- it was the slow process of my discovery that I'm about done with this line of work, and writing about tech wasn't going to be a way to make anything easier. I like writing fiction, possibly teaching, so I'm headed in a different direction entirely.