Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Another Question

Dear Mad Hatter,

What kind dogs do you have?

I have two small dogs. They are purebred. That's about all you're going to find out about them. I will say that when they die along with the family cat, I will not have any more pets. Does that make the hatter a hater? No, it makes me aware of the economics involved, with not just food and medicine and boarding, plus I'm just plain tired of cleaning up after them. I want to live life, and dogs (or cats) don't fit that equation. I have my own medicine and food to get, dogs are rich man's toys. I know, all kinds of people have dogs. But more likely than not they aren't properly cared for.

Add to that the premise of a mutt... no way. Sure I've owned them before, but that was when you could just leave them outside, and never really have to worry about them. Hell my grandma used to kill puppies and kittens as soon as they were born. She didn't want to be cruel, it was simply another method of birth control, for those who couldn't afford to spay or neuter their pet. My father has spent many a Saturday afternoon at the grocery store giving puppies away. Not me, of course I do have my pets fixed, and they live inside, and I try to make time for them, but it's hard. A lot more work than people think about.

I know certain people out there want to find that Beagle/Pomeranian a home and that's great, but really nobody lets any kind of purebred anything breed with something else, and I'm sick of seeing it. It's a dog, just leave it at that. I just can't stand it when somebody tries to tell me their dog's genealogy. Unless your dog somehow came over on the Mayflower or he's the number 1 dog in the world, shut up telling me anything else about him... including how smart he is. My 2 are dumb asses and I fail to see anything in a dog that is more than a pet.

So thats what I think about dogs, which is quite honestly a rich, or a demented person's hobby.

Email any questions to Ask Hatter

3 comments:

Alex said...

I'm with you...we have 3 cats and a dog. When they reach the great litterbox/dog park in the sky, I'm going to take a break from pets. They're nice to have around, but I really want to travel some, just weekend trips, camping, whatever, and I'd like to be able to do that at a moment's notice.

Alex said...

Or, just sit in my house and have some peace and quiet.

Mad Hatter said...

Amen...

Oh to to child AND pet free, without a care in the world...