Thursday, December 17, 2009

What Are You Going to Be

I want all my daughters to have the very best in life. What I mean is not they have "to have the best clothes or toys", but that they take advantage of their situation to get the best from it. One thing in particular is school. Now I can't afford private school and I'm not sold on private's better than public anyway. There was a meeting, a meeting where my child, me and my wife, and the school counselor got together and planned my child's future.

I'm talking about my teenager, and this was good, but it gave a kind of slanted view of her possible future. The counselor was saying how great it is that our daughter has good grades, and because of that she would be able to take more advanced classes and get some college credit for them. Now I know and my daughter knows (subconsciously at least) that she will not be able to keep up the pace of an all AP kind of life. She will have friends, she might work, she might want to do something other than homework when she is home. I guess what I'm trying to say is, this meeting could have been helpful... if it took a little more realistic view of my daughter.

Again she could prove me wrong, but it almost seems like it is an all or nothing affair, and we all know life really isn't like that. And you only get one chance to be a teenager, that is, you can't have blue hair or a get a nose ring when you are 30... yeah I know you could, but the ramifications are a bit different from 30 to say 15. You do stupid shit when you are young. We all do and my daughter is no different.

So this was a meeting about nothing, or I guess a meeting where we fantasize about what could be. I mean I had no clue whatsoever what I wanted to be... and didn't really figure it out until 3 months into my senior year of high school. I know everyone is different, and had I had the opportunity to figure this out before I went into high school, I might have done things differently. So now we wait... and see.

No comments: