Monday, December 14, 2009

Long Live Toastees

This is a flashback from my past. I ask, does anyone else remember the corn toastees? Apparently not. There is this guy. So at least I know I'm not alone. I used to eat these thing... glorified corn bread... on my walk to school. I mean, I was young I didn't even think about a toastee as corn bread. To me it tasted like "good". As in I had no idea what is was, and never questioned it, just something you put in the toaster and ate.

So I did some research on the internet and found this recipe, you can see the original here

Corn Toasties

1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/2 c + 2 T sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 c + 2 T cornmeal
1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 t salt
1 c milk

Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a medium-sized bowl mix together the melted butter & sugar. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Add the baking powder, cornmeal, flour & salt. Mix until everything is moistened. Stir in milk & mix until almost smooth (a few lumps are fine).

Lightly grease a 10" x 15" baking sheet with 1/2" sides. Pour the batter into the baking sheet, spreading into all the corners. Tap the baking sheet on the counter 1 or 2 times to even the batter out.

Bake for about 25 minutes. The edges should be brown & pulling away from the side of the pan & the top show be set. Allow to rest in the pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes. Using a sharp knife cut into individual pieces I cut it into eight 2 1/2" x 3 3/4" rectangles.

Store the toasties wrapped in plastic wrap or in a resealable bag in the refrigerator for use over the next week. For longer storage keep them in the freezer.

To serve toast until browning & top with butter, syrup, honey or jam.

Makes 8 toasties

I baked these and I am the only one who has prior experience with the toastees, but everyone loved them, like really, really loved them. They are more than just cornbread, they are "good". And now I can make them from scratch whenever I like.

No comments: