Thursday, April 9, 2009

Magnolia Springs State Park

We decided, ok it was really just me, but anyway, to drive out to Magnolia Springs State Park. It took every bit of 2 hours to get there, which comparatively it takes 1 and 1/2 hours to get to Charleston, about 30 minutes to get to Savannah, but we have never been to Magnolia so there.

I will say this, it is a 4-lane highway the whole way... Charleston does not have that. Somebody in Georgia must know some people in high places... because really there is no reason for this to be so easy. But it was and away we went.


Now when we go there... two hours later... there was not even a sign or anything to signify that we had arrived, I guess you better know ahead of time. There was a $3 parking fee, but you figure that is for maintaining the park (3 playgrounds) the water, and a somewhat decent aquarium. That is a good value my friend.

Here we have a stream. It comes from a lake.


This is the lake.


This is directly from the lake.


Here is the actual spring...


And the spillway from it.


There was an alligator.


And a reminder that they are in fact wild.

Now I wouldn't go to this place again, but I wouldn't scratch it off completely either. It does have some trails, a good picnic area, fishing, and camping. I just don't know if I can justify 4+ hours of travel. But you never know.

No comments: