Sunday, April 26, 2009

How I Came To Be (part 2)... Or Want Some Pepsi?

So in the last post, we had my father naked, except for his socks, in a motel room, and his angry wife and three crying kids outside of the motel. Bad scene huh? My mother ran into the bathroom moments before my father showed everyone what color his socks were. She locked herself in there and would not come out. Thinking about it, that was probably the best thing she could have done.

There was some fallout no doubt, because of my fathers infidelity, and lying to my mother. But somehow they got past it. My mother says that it was to late, she had already fallen in love with my father and thus I came to be, but I was not a bastard child, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

One day, my father tells his first wife (my mother was his 2nd) "I'm going out to get some Pepsi", and never comes back. That is pretty harsh, I mean, I don't think I could do that, but he was in love too I guess, and you don't think straight when you're all caught up in emotions like that.

"I'm going to get some Pepsi", turned into a long running joke in my family. Not that we laugh at infidelity, but sometimes you just need to laugh. And there would be plenty of misery for my father. His first wife wrecked his second marriage and he could never really get past the guilt of what he did to her... and she knew that. He bought her a house, two cars, and a myriad of other stuff, plus paid child support. And to this very day she acts like this all happened yesterday. This and she has been married to her 2nd husband for nearly 30 years.

Her children all wonder about her, and in a ironic twist of fate she was my babysitter for a time. We have had some unpleasant moments, more than a few arguments, and generally weird happenings between my father, his first wife, and all the kids involved. I know to the outsider this seems bizarre and when you think about it, it is. But it is the only childhood I have and so, I wouldn't trade it even for one where I could remember mom and dad being together forever and all that jazz.

No comments: