Monday, April 18, 2011

Some Time Off...

So I got off from work (which requires me to find someone else to cover my account). I'm flying out to see my mom alone. That will be somewhat strange as I don't think that has happened since I came out to Hilton Head for the very first time, 7 years ago. I'm a big wuss that I thought I was. This whole cancer stuff is bigger than anyone knows, that is until it comes up and bites them... then they know.

I always thought my father, who worked in and around all sorts of dangerous chemicals nuclear plants, shipyards, paint factories... would get sick, and he did and he overcame all of that. But my mom worked in a doctor's office or hospital not some chemical company. So I guess it just took me by surprise. I don't guess anyone can really expect it. Still I'm learning to accept it and deal with it (and it isn't even my disease). I hope it never happens to me, but when my mother gets through this I will have both to look at and know I can do it if need be.

But for now I leave my kids in my wife's capable hands, and go to my mother. I wish that it was under different circumstances... like she won the lottery or just a regular family vacation, but it is not my mother just joked that it took cancer to make me come out there, honestly I'll be the brunt of every joke if it means my mom will stay a little longer. So I get on the plane Saturday and come back Thursday. That seems so inconsequential so mundane why do I have to jump through so many hoops, pull so many favors? I guess it comes with the territory. I am glad that I can take time off and be with my mom (in two weeks). So simple yet so hard to come by...

No comments: