Friday, April 29, 2011

Goal!!!

No movie today. Sorry, but equally entertaining is my daughter's 5-year-old soccer team.

Last Monday, the Songbird scored her first goal. I am so proud, even got my chest puffed out a bit... I have been working with her now for about 3 weeks, and the hard work has paid off. When she score the goal, it was like everything was in slow motion. and she was in the right place at exactly the right time, and then BOOM she kicked the tar babies out of the ball and scored the goal. It was not "the game winner" but for us, I think it lit a fire and it is definitely something we can work on.

I know it is 5-year-old soccer, but I can see something in her eye, a drive, a determination, to win. They don't even keep score at these things, but by my recollection, we are 3-0... and a lot of that falls on the coach. Right now there are maybe 4 or 5 girls (out of 10) that want to win. Of the teams we played so far I see maybe 2 or 3 girls have that same will to win. Anyway, it is coaching that keeps everyone where they are supposed to be (i.e. defense is where the defense is, not at the other team's goal). And I think it is great the way she gives equal time to everyone. Ultimately those girls are there to have fun, but it is so much nicer to win than to lose.


So yes I am proud, because many things the coach tries to teach are the same things that me and the Songbird go over at home. Now from here there is a big hurdle that has already been crossed, she knows that with more time, practice, and dedication she can do better, and maybe we have found a great thing that will keep her up and going (not to mention her father) and not become a couch potato. We'll see, but I think so. Here is to (hopefully) many more goals to come.  

No comments: