Monday, September 7, 2009

This Whole Mess With the Budget

I am going to play my wife, because she will not come on and say what needs to be said. Look here and here if you're wondering what I'm talking about. My wife is National Board certified. She is also in one of those positions that was created by Val, the coach jobs. Like many other people, I didn't know what all of this entitles, let me attempt to explain.

The National Board perk as it was called, was a leveling of the field, sort of... You see those states that are in the upper echelon when it comes to testing already pay a higher salary, and by offering this $2,400 to qualified teachers, the hope was that we will get a better teacher, maybe even lure some away from those high performers. Look here, with the increase by becoming NBPTS certified, the difference is not so much. What will happen if they decide to cut that 'perk' out? You will find that many teachers will go elsewhere thus robbing Beaufort County of it's best teachers. I don't think that is what we want.

And the coach jobs? They don't pay more or less than any other teacher. If you have a math, or 2nd grade teacher or a coach. They all make the same, provided they have the same amount of time in service and college. What they do is coach, teach the teachers, without reporting to the principal. My wife loves it. She doesn't just teach 15-30 kids, she teaches the entire school potentially.

I don't know what if anything can be done to save tax monies, but getting qualified people and finding a way to promote them, without actually paying them more (coach jobs) is a good thing. Is there is something to cut, undoubtedly, but let's remember, they passed the last two referendums... you had to know that was just the beginning. It is going to cost more to operate 2 schools than 1 overcrowded school. It just is. That wasn't as concise as my wife put it to me, but maybe somebody will at least understand why it was done that way.

Oh yeah... Happy Labor Day!

No comments: