Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Algebra

Well my oldest, the 14-year-old, seems to not care about school. I can't really say that, she doesn't care about algebra. Otherwise she is doing great. So how do I make her understand/like/ingest math? I don't know, and my wife doesn't know either.

See last year she was recommended to go to Algebra, an advanced class, one that will give her high school credit. I'm kind of leery of that anyway, but went along with it because she said she was ready for it. Now it turns out that maybe she isn't.

I have my own demons in the subject of algebra. I was taking it when I was her age, transferred to Mississippi and suddenly was not taking it, then the next year they put me in pre-algebra, then the next year I got a horrible teacher and algebra, and failed... miserably. The next year I got a different algebra teacher, and amazingly I got an A in the class.

So I know what a difference a teacher makes, I also know if you are not open to trying to learn, nothing can help you. So now I have to struggle with whether to pull my kid out of the class, or put the clamps down on her. What to do what to do...

No comments: