Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Gone

I don't really know anyone that died in the 9/11 attacks, so I guess I have the luxury of looking at the event from a more objective viewpoint. But that doesn't mean I am not horrified by the event. I remember when it happened. I was working, in the upstate. I turned on the TV because, it was what everyone was doing. I watched as the second airplane hit. I knew then that this was no accident, that this was a game changing event, and that things would never be the same again.

I mourned for folks I had never met. I hugged my daughter extra tight that day after work. I thought of all of my Army buddies, that would no doubt go to war "somewhere". I watched the TV constantly, just trying to get some kind of idea... of the madness that was going on in New York and DC. We lost whatever we had that day, we had to adjust our way of thinking because we couldn't afford to stick out our hand in friendship openly anymore. We had homeland security and whatever else, to guard against a unspeakable act. But do we really? The fact is, nobody has tried that act since, not really, I know there has been a few failed attempts, but nothing substantial. So we let the terror sink in, and we succumbed. And I know something had to happen, I just don't know if it really effects what it is that we are trying to stop.

I'm sorry all those people died, it was a sad, sad day, but here 10 years later, does everything we are doing make sense? Is getting frisked by airport security worth it? That remains to be seen. But I think one of the most important things to say is... nothing at all. At least not from me. We live in this world, we always have and always will. When terrible things happen, armchair quarterbacking helps nobody. Whatever could be said has already been said. It was a sad day and it will remain a sad day.

No comments: