Monday, August 15, 2011

A Cat's Life

I have been keeping an eye on our (really it is Mrs. Hatter's) cat. Why? well you see the cat is really, really, really old. The time varies but we think she in at the youngest 17, 19 at the oldest. She has been around. And she goes through times of when she won't eat to times when you can't feed her enough. Being so old, it makes me edgy that she may be finally dieing. I don't like to think of that, and neither does my wife. But we both know that day is eventually coming.

So now do we just let it happen, or do we take her to the vet and put her down? Now before anyone gets their feelings hurt, she is a diabetic, a very old cat, and has accidents now and then. Not only are they accidents but there is blood involved. It is not that we don't love her, because she has lived with us all this time. And will continue, but we know the clock is ticking for her. Add to that we have small children, again not that it is a problem... unless the cat has an accident, and we find out about it from one of our kids because they have blood or poop on them.

Maybe I'm worried about nothing. I hope I'm worried about nothing. She (the cat) is laying here next to me as I write this. I pet her and she is happily purring. Maybe that is all there is to it. We all go sooner or later, how many times we get petted is the difference between a good life and a bad one. Maybe. At least for cats anyway.

No comments: