Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Not So Political

I really try to be a non-political person. I try to make my blog a very unpolitical environment. Mainly because I don't much care... If I like the person who is in office I'm a gullible fool if I don't like the person, I suffer from sour grapes. I know that sooner or later one faction is going to win over the other, and the really funny part (This pertains to congress) is the people we elect we generally feel they do an ok job, but the others in congress... not so much. So basically it is everyone else's problem, our guy is doing just fine. Whatever.

I really feel torn by these two sides... because I like parts of both, but really who has my point of view on these things? The part that really makes me crazy is the way we choose who we vote for. We ask really stupid questions like are you pro choice or right to life? Well, unless the person is a woman of child bearing age... who the fuck cares?!? Pro/anti gun? Really? We are simply going to have to find a way to live with guns, they aren't going away, so deal. The same goes for drugs and anything else illegal to do... if someone wants to bad enough, it is going to happen. Gay marriage? I didn't think it was any of my business or anyone else's. Ok perhaps you or your friends or family don't approve, but since when is that really an issue? If you don't like something, don't do it, so if everyone is abstaining from everything gay, why would you care about what is going on in someone else's home? We get caught up in these stupid straw-man arguments, that take away from real issues... And it aint just the politicians, it is the media and anyone else that may happen to comment on the "quasi-issue" or "Red Herring".

Fiscal responsibility? Does anyone running for office really know what that means? If they don't spend money, then they won't get government contracts for their state, if that doesn't happen they may not be re-elected, now who really wants that? How many politicians have you heard of that run a campaign on "I didn't do anything". Everybody has his or her pets. Some want to "trim" the budget, some like a strong defense others like to help the poor or help the disadvantaged youth or what have you. It is all a big game, and while I'm thankful for the right to vote, I completely understand why voter turn out is abysmal.

What does it mean for me? What is going to happen to me if you do or don't get into office? I'd say pretty much nothing either way. So why bother with it at all? In fact look at this news article. It paints a fairly grim picture of both sides. I don't know how we could turn this ship around, and I'm not even sure I would want to. I'm so tired of all the political wrangling, You can't vote for him because he hates kids, well you can't vote for her because she is in the pocketbook of big business... blah, blah, blah... Enough already. I give, honestly can someone really run for office, any office, that isn't a crook, liar, or something else not so nice? Is there anyone left? Maybe I need to review 'Mr. Smith Goes to Washington' for Classic Film Friday.

Or do I... maybe all of this haranguing is for nothing, because it has been going on pretty much since we started this country? Maybe. Perhaps I am searching for a utopia that never before or will exist, but I can hope can't I?

No comments: