Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Debris Story

As you may already know... I am from New Orleans and anytime I hear about this or that new restaurant that is "New Orleanian" I both groan and I hold out hope too. I want to taste my heritage, but I don't want bad food labeled as being from New Orleans, when you couldn't be further from the truth one place on Hilton Head serves Gumbo without any roux in it... Sacrilege! So I heard about this sandwich shop in Savannah, The Second Line, with has a very limited menu, but they promise true roast beef and "debris" po'boy. A po'boy is a sub-sandwich, it is called a po'boy because way back when, only a poor person would eat it. Debris is all the left over bits of roast beef.

As with almost everything, it became an adopted and "in" food thing, and so the po'boy was for every-boy. Funny how it works out that way. But anyway, back to Second Line. My dining experience was sort of jaded. For a sandwich shop, you would think they would have your order made within 5 minutes. Not so much. And I had my kids with me, so they were climbing on the chairs, rolling on the floor, basically acting a fool. The food was good, but I don't know if it was worth that kind of wait... and the bread (the secret to any good po'boy) was off somewhat.

The place was really setup for the bar scene there on River Street. And I would have loved it if I had been part of that and probably I would have gone there with out question to satiate my hunger after a few drinks. But instead I was there with my kids, and it was a really long wait (2 hours all together). It wet my appetite for a good (better) roast beef po'boy. There are a plethora of recipes online. I decided to use this one.

This was what I remember about a good roast beef po'boy. There is nothing our instant gratification society would approve of, but man was it good. It takes time, like 3 to 5 hours. This is not something you walk into, you must plan ahead. But the reward is so much better when you do plan. And you might even have some for lunch the next day. (If there is any left). I disappointingly can't recommend the Second Line, but I can suggest if you have a Saturday or Sunday you make your own. Publix has an descent French bread loaf. Make it yourself, and while you're at it buy a good 6-pack or 12-pack, invite some friends over and make happy. That is what it is all about right?

No comments: