Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy Mardi Gras!!!

Yeah... I know... Nobody really cares. That is unless you are an ex-patriot of New Orleans. But still I know they are having fun down there. How II wish I could be blogging live on location... But honestly, if that were possible, the last thing I would do is blog about it. I'd be to busy having fun. Drinking, maybe smoking, laughing, looking at all the craziness pass me by (like the drag queens and strippers) I also know that by now they (the locals) are ready to move on.

I went to Publix to get my king cake. It just didn't taste very good. I made me a pot of jambalaya, and I put too much pepper in it, only I and the teenager could stomach it. I guess like the Saints, it just wasn't my year, or time. I keep promising the Songbird that I will take to New Orleans her for her birthday (which sometimes corresponds along with Mardi Gras) but I'm wondering... how exactly I'm going to pull that one off. I hope it won't be too long but... it might. You know they don't let off from school around here for a holiday celebrated 800 miles away. So that means we would have her be absent (as well as my wife) and that isn't kosher.

Then I think about everything we would see. The sights, the smells, it was good enough for me... but I grew up around all of that. I mean we yearly got a spot called the "Back Door" (a gay bar) and you could sit back and enjoy lip syncing and costume contests. But for a sweet little innocent girl, who may get mauled by a crowd for some beads or a cup, or some drawers? That I don't know. I wish I could be there, but I'm scared, that once around all of that, I may realize all too quickly that it is not all it is cracked up to be.

Luckily for me, I will not be able to afford to go for some time. So I guess I will worry about all of the rest when the time comes. And remember, the very next day is the beginning of Lent. Go get the ashes in the form of a cross on your forehead, so everyone knows you are a good catholic.

No comments: