Monday, March 7, 2011

Unions

There has been much said on unions lately. I think everyone must remember, how you are brought up will depend on whether you support the union or think it is a waste. I think many people get hung up on the specifics, and maybe rightly so because one slip up and it could change everything. Everyone has an agenda. Everyone. Even me I guess.

My father worked union jobs in the late 70's/early 80's. He got a union pension. It was laughably low, like here is $20,000 to $40,000 for your trouble, this included many jobs that were not-union and he had to pay union dues all the while. Also I have never had a job where I found myself belonging to a union So, my experience with unions is pretty limited. But anyway I can maybe sense their need, although I have never found any reason to be a part of one. Does that mean I'm anti-union? Hardly but I can't see a reason to make a big fuss. If I didn't like being what I am right now, I would move or be something else.

I think you have to be adaptable in today's work environment. Don't get too comfortable, be willing to move, and as always hope for the best. I hope that everyone that is in a union wants and needs the same thing that non-union people want. I think that is the way it is supposed to be... I really don't know. I do know the struggles of the textile workers here in South Carolina , I also know there are no more textile jobs here. They can make them cheaper overseas. So is the greed factor involved? Well maybe, but it is not just the greed of the textile maker, it is us as well, since we can get said products from overseas cheaper (i.e. Wal-mart) then we usually do. I can't remember the last pair of shoes I bought that weren't made in China.

But I'm getting off of the point I am trying to make. Unions are kind of like where you are born or do you like pickles, you can't tell someone who is a union man to hate unions just like you can't tell a union detractor that unions are good. You can try, but in all likelihood you are not going to change anyone's mind. I think I am more anti than pro... but again that is because of my personal experiences, which are skewed.

I know unions brought some industries up, with worker safety, wages, helping people not have to worry they would get fired, that sort of thing. I don't know if what we have today is the same thing, but you just never know. My father-in-law is a member of a union up in Pennsylvania, the way he talks, he could take it or leave it. I guess those dues are hurting, but if not for the union, I wonder if he would have the job he has now. So all I can really say about unions is pretty much nothing at all. Maybe they are good/bad, I'm sure someone who knows could point me in either direction... But it is more about where you come from or expect than a choice you can actually make. I never had to make that choice and hope I never do.

No comments: