Sunday, March 6, 2011

We Went `A Walkin'

So we took a walk. This is something I have wanted to do for sometime. The JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) walk was 3/5/11, or Saturday. I always felt there was something for cancer, there was something for Alzheimer's, something for for heart disease, March of Dimes, you name it... but never anything for what I am affected by. I have been a type 1 diabetic since I was 27. Now I'm 35, almost 36, and I have the opportunity to do something. Or at least be around other folks that go through the same thing I do everyday.

I am not one that will go ask for money but you see a student of my wife's contracted the disease, his name is Jake, and I cannot fathom how he deals with the disease. Yeah I know I have the very same problem and I face the same hurdles he does, but he is just a kid, I got to have a childhood, he does too, but it is severely altered. I just can't even imagine trying to go to kids birthdays, or just munching on random things. It really isn't possible with type 1 diabetics as you have to , take your blood sugar, do the math on what you ate, and give yourself insulin accordingly. There is no mindlessness to it at all. So though we have already walked if you would like to donate, here is the link: Team Jake 

I do believe that this is a disease that can be cured. And honestly, you can't help it if you got it. Many diseases you can do something to stave it off, like eat right, exercise, make sure you aren't living where dangerous chemicals and whatnot are. Type 1 diabetics not so much, you might be one tomorrow. Anyway if you can give that is great, if you can't that is ok too. 

No comments: