Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Why We Fail

My wife told me a story the other day and I could not nor could she... understand. Basically she went to a low-end apartment complex as a part of open house. It is an effort to do something about the low pass rates that the children of that area have. So to show the parents that the teachers are willing to give up an hour on Saturday to help bring the scores up, hoping that they too care about their kids.

Well that was all good, I mean she went, they had some parents show up, others not so much, but at least she (my wife) can say she went. Then she tells me about a child that was no older than 2. He was the brother of kids that were of age to be in school... 5,6,8 I don't really know there ages. Anyway he accompanies his mother, and then the mother is gone. leaving behind a rambunctious toddler. He climbs up the playground "thing", acts like he is going to jump, lucky for him, the mother, and anyone else, that my wife is there to catch him. And still no mother. I think this is the problem with kids that find themselves in situations like this. Nobody is around.

My wife signals to one of his older siblings to take the toddler home. But really, what are you going to do? Should we have just called DSS? That would not do the teachers much good, since they are out on their own dime to show support for the children... not check up on the parents. Just ignore it? Well, I don't think the little boy would have liked it (or his mother) if he had to spend time in the hospital. Exactly how do you get people to take some (all) responsibility?  

Could you imagine leaving your child that is 2, all alone at the playground (ok not all alone he had his brothers and sisters with him)? I can't even begin to fathom it, and yet this woman clearly did. We cannot afford one more kid and yet there are people out there that don't have a care in the world about raising their kids... and making more. I just don't see how we can improve, if the folks we are trying to help really don't want help to begin with.

No comments: