Saturday, February 12, 2011

Them Dang Turkeys

Maybe I have some radioactive waste in my backyard, or maybe a witch doctor cursed the land... something had to happen. I drove home from work, I'm pulling into my driveway and when I get to the back of the house... I look across the yard and there are two wild turkeys eating from my bird feeder. I have been around. I know folks who hunt for turkeys. They get all dressed up with camouflage and be extremely still, and still they may not get one at all for a season or two.

But if I simply had a BB gun, I would have bagged, at least three this year. I don't hunt, but my grandmother was a taxidermist, and I helped her with deer heads, fish, bobcats, ducks. If you could stuff it, she pretty much probably stuffed one at some point. And anyway, we got a lot of meat from her taxidermy business. Ironically many hunters/fishermen wanted a trophy, not something to eat. We took it anyway, the meat and their money, and we were happy to get both.

So this leaves me in a bit of a quandary... What the heck did I do to deserve this? And if they keep coming around, I will find a way to get one (or more). And then what to do with it once I have one? Any ideas would be most appreciated.

No comments: