Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What I Did on Vacation (part 2)

Monday rolled around, and it was time to drive to Covington to meet my cousin, 2nd cousin, and my aunt (who has really bad Alzheimer's) also to meet my mom brother and sister. We had breakfast, and took lots of pictures, and sat around just happy… (a big difference from what happened at my dad’s but anyway) we said our goodbyes and headed across the lake to New Orleans.

Our first stop was a bit of a disappointment. We went to Poncho’s the famous all you can eat Mexican restaurant. Back when Katrina went through, there was a sign saying it would not re-open. Well, it opened in a new location, years later, but all the tastes must have died in the storm. What used to be a cafeteria style, then you ordered from your table, kind of dining experience, is now just a regular go fill up on whatever you want yourself kind of thing, plus no piñatas, and the sopapillas just didn’t seem as good. A piece of my childhood is gone forever. Sad isn’t it?

But that is the way it goes… So we get to our hotel, the Hilton Riverside, only blocks away from the French Quarter and even shorter if you wanted to take a trolley, or as New Orleans folks say street car. We had a great time, all three days.

The first day was check in, Poncho's, and daiquiris, The second day was Cafe Du Monde for breakfast (Beignets and Coffee Au Lait), then lunch at Drago's and then onto the Aquarium of the Americas and finally we stopped in at Howl at the Moon on Bourbon St. to get drinks while we waited in line at Acme Oyster House. Everything there tasted great, and I didn't once leave a place thinking I got ripped off, or was still hungry. The last day was spent packing and then at the zoo and for lunch/dinner we went to O'Henry's. Then said our goodbyes, which is a lot more like see ya laters, and took one last ride around the city.

The rest of the trip was a wash, unless you count a trip to Flint Creek State Park in Wiggins, MS and/or a big blow out between my wife and my step-mom. We think we may just buy my father a plane ticket, have him spend time with everyone, have a much nicer time, and all will be well I think, it is just convincing my father of this fact. It was really hard to say goodbye to him this time, it has been 4 years since I last saw him, and he isn't getting any younger. Many a tear was shed, because I don't know if this was the last time I'll see him, that and the fact that my step-mother was a complete bitch the whole time I was there. Like I said, an airplane ticket for one would be better, and he can see how and where I live, the thought of that will have to be enough for now...

No comments: