Monday, November 8, 2010

Voting... A Look Back

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one." Thomas Paine

I can't help but wonder, a week after election day, what all this means and if anything will really change. I mean half of the ballot I turned in there was only one person to vote for. So is that really a choice? We can say goodbye to Joy Logan, I guess that is a good thing, but I'm looking for more. I felt some of the other positions were a toss up... the State Treasurer? Superintendent of Education? Agriculture Commissioner? What do these people do? I mean really do? Earn a salary and that is pretty much it? Or am I woefully uneducated/uninformed? 

I think there should have been something in the newspapers about these positions, but at best I found either a press piece written by the candidate or an outright commercial for the candidate at worst nothing at all. I know we need government, but how much... that I don't know, and how I can affect any change in the government is also in question. Nobody came and talked to me and honestly if they did, I would write it off as lip service only anyway. So in a way, even though I did vote, I'm starting to wonder why... I really don't know and wish that I did. I hold about the same power as a non-voter. And I know that is not good.

No comments: