Sunday, November 21, 2010

How My Daughter Has More Friends in 5 Minutes Than I have in My Entire Life

I really don't know how it happened. Well, I do know how it started. Basically me and my wife told the teenager, "You can have a facebook account if you friend us" well at first she balked at the idea. Because my daughter has a healthy suspicion of anyone in authority... myself included. She thinks we would actually be so sneaky as to follow her around on dates with friends. What she doesn't understand is we would much rather play "newlywed couple"... if given the chance, than to go off chasing her around.

Well it finally broke her down, she said "I will be your friend, can I sign up for facebook now?" And so we set out doing just that. And I was happy, she was happy, everyone was happy. Then it got weird. As she was adding all of her friends and they were adding her back, she is popular I guess. I asked her, "Do you talk to these people daily?" and she claimed that she did. And I can't help but wonder when the hell do you have time to do this?

I understand that kids will talk during class, lunch, between classes, on the bus, virtually anywhere and everywhere... but as her facebook fills up, my facebook is full of people I really don't talk to. Old high school friends, family, old army buddies, and some regular friends and co-workers thrown in and except for family, I really don't talk to much of anyone. And I can't help but wonder why. I have no idea.

I do know that almost all the people I would like to hear from/about either don't have a facebook account or they don't talk much... so what is a guy to do? Well I guess, I start posting a little more on facebook, and start looking for more friends... I can't be a wallflower while my daughter talks and meets everyone now can I?

No comments: