Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Travel Time

I’ve been mired down in work lately. You’d think with the holidays upon us that wouldn’t be the case, but for me it simply means fewer days to accomplish the same amount of work. In fact, I wouldn’t even have time to write here now if it weren’t for the fact that I’m waiting on an overnight package to arrive. While I’m thankful of the time off, there is definitely a price to pay for it.

Speaking of paying a price, I can only look back at all of the people traveling back and forth for the holidays and wonder if it’s worth it. The last two years we traveled 800+ miles to spend Thanksgiving with family and while it was nice to visit with the folks, I’m not sure if the trek warranted the fuel cost, travel time, and vacation days spent to get there and back. That’s not even getting into travel snarls and the danger involved with such crowded roadways.

I love my family but I think a nice, quiet dinner at home and the ability to just relax ...no traffic, no hurry-scurry hither and yon, no expenses... outweighs the small amount of time (time that often comes with great stress) spent with family. So I’m staying home this year. I realize that stance might lead others to consider me an ungrateful bastard, but honestly everyone is more than welcome to jump into the travel madness and stay at my house this year.

As usual, I got no takers.

No comments: