Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Bumper Stickers

Maybe I’m still a bit miffed by some of the previous overdramatic religious hyperbole I’ve been exposed to lately, or maybe I’m just a little too cynical, but today I had an encounter that sums up my general feeling about most (not all) folks that proudly display their religion for all to see.

On my way to work this morning I looked up into my rearview only to see it full of white Lincoln Navigator riding my bumper. I quickly moved over to the right lane and as this whale of an SUV whooshed by I noticed a gigantic vinyl window sticker of 3 crosses centered on the back windshield, no doubt displaying this individual’s devotion to Jesus. As we traveled along on the highway the cross stamped Navigator zigzagged between lanes and tailgated until the other drivers yielded the right of way or an opening in the opposite lane presented itself. The Navigator, though aggressively trying to negotiate traffic wound up behind me yet again (I travel with cruise control as I find it to be much more efficient and effective than my analog and unreliable foot).

As the hulking white SUV flew by me again complete with an encore display of said crosses I wondered to myself, is this the Christian way to drive? Now I realize bad drivers come in all flavors, sizes, colors, and religions, but when one goes through the trouble to advertise something on their vehicle, the road manners of the driver automatically get lumped into one’s view of the business (or in this case religion) exhibited. How many of us have been cut off by a work truck, complete with phone number and a “How’s My Driving” sticker and at least made a mental note to not support that business?

Does that mean I’ll boycott church because some jerk with a Jesus fish on his trunk lid almost ran me off the road? No, but it does, over time and repeated experiences, help solidify my opinion that the majority of Christians are in fact no more divine and just as prone to bad behavior as anyone else, except of course for the fact that most religiously minded folks tend to push their morals and religious doctrine on the rest of us.

I suppose the old “do as I say not as I do” line might apply here, but I think whenever anyone plasters an advertising across the back of their car it behooves the driver to remain cognizant of the fact that they are a representative of that signage every time they get behind the wheel.

No comments: