Monday, November 26, 2007

Sports are for Suckers (like me)

2007 will go down (for me) as one of the MOST CRAPPY sports years in history. It’s downright pathetic. In fact it’s so bad, I hardly ever watch anymore. That goes for pretty much everything, but more so toward the racing and football genres.

It’s so bad that the 2 football teams I follow could combine their wins and still not be close to the league juggernaut (AKA Patriots). So why bother? Don’t go calling me a fair-weather fan. I grew up in a town whose team didn’t even have a winning season (much less a playoff berth) until 20 years or so into its miserable existence. There are only so many ass whoopins a body can stand.

Seriously I’d rather spend my Sunday cutting grass or watching reruns of This Old House than witness my team get pummeled yet again. And there’s the rub. You can’t just give up on them, so you find yourself coming back, like a chump at the black jack table fishing another 20 out of his wallet, because maybe this time, it’ll be different. Not likely, but hope springs eternal and like they say, sometimes the sun will even shine on a dog’s ass.

Kind of like politics, I’m pining for next year, but in the back of my head I know the outcome will be the same. Is there any room on the bandwagon for one more? Never mind, Bob Vila is touring a beautiful Victorian estate in the historic district.

No comments: