Monday, November 12, 2007

Busy, busy, busy

The official “run around like a crazed idiot” season kicked off last weekend. Between now and Christmas the family and I have no less than 10 (probably more like 15) dinners, parties, or social gatherings to attend, host, or cook for. I’m not really sure why it’s common place to have half a dozen Thanksgiving dinners before the ACTUAL Thanksgiving. Lord knows I eat so much turkey on that day alone that I can’t stand the smell of it 11 months out of the year. By the time I get to Thanksgiving this year, I might resort to hot dogs or pizza. Ok, not really, but still I can’t help but feel the myriad of holiday inspired get-togethers, however well intentioned, take away from the official day of celebration.

It wouldn’t be polite to say anything like that out loud. Some of our friends go to great lengths to put on a spread. So I’ll hide my wincing acknowledgment of yet another holiday party behind a genuine smile and graciously accept. Being nice this year is bound to take a toll on my poor taste buds… and waistline. Let the good times roll.

No comments: