Thursday, November 29, 2007

School Board Special Meeting Nov. 27, 2007

I’m a bit late on the draw with this one and I admit that I’ve only glanced over it, but according to the summary issued to BCSD employees recounting Tuesday’s School Board Meeting (that went untelevised by the way) Board member Laura Bush thinks “the public should appreciate that by using prototype schools, it will save taxpayers money and is an efficient way to conduct business” (FYI: I’m quoting the summary here, which is NOT considered meeting minutes).

Take that in for what it’s worth... “prototype school” and “efficient” in the same sentence. You’ve got to be kidding me. Using untried school construction techniques (i.e. prototype) is going to save us money and we the public should appreciate that.

I wonder if Laura Bush is being sarcastic or craftily using a double negative to fool us. I’m not falling for it. Now really isn’t the time to get fancy.

The rest of the summary basically glosses over things we already know... the district is probably going to break up the referendums, to make it more palatable and they promise taxes will only go up by $50 or so for a $200,000 home. If anyone wants a copy of the summary drop me a line. Just remember it’s not really “official” until the Board approves the minutes and hopefully they’ll then post them on their website (in about a month or so).

Still, nobody seems capable of adjusting attendance zones as a means to alleviate overcrowding; all they talk about is construction and needing money.

No comments: