Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Alligator... Part III

So I go let the dogs out, it used to be my 13-year-old's job, but in her absence for the summer I take the reins. Anyway I left the dogs out for a potty break, and I notice that there is another alligator in the pond. No big deal right? This is South Carolina after all, you are going to have "critters" everywhere.

Then my dog runs in front of me and Mr. Alligator decides he wants a closer look. And he proceeds to come out of the water. I start to get a little worried. I'm used to alligators, but back home, they quickly run away when people come near, not so much with this guy. So I keep one eye on the gator, and wrangle up my two imbeciles, because one is completely clueless about the alligator, the other thinks she can take him on. I eventually, with lots of yelling at one dog who wants to be a hero, get the dogs back inside.

I come back out to take pictures, and I actually take a movie, it might as well be a picture, since he didn't move, but anyway, he is about 8 ft long, and has a very bad disposition. It turns out that there were two gators in the pond, and they might have been, "he'in and she'in" and thus why he was so aggressive. But it was a bit too much for some of my other neighbors, they called animal control, and they should have, because this guy was off the hook crazy. I've never felt that kind of scared before, I don't have a gun or a knife, or really any kind of weapon. And here I was, standing and watching as he came out of the water.

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

MH:
DANG!

"This Sunday, Sunday, Sunday...

It's GATOR STAREDOWN III!"

Okay, here's where having a GOOD zoom lens and backing AWAY from said gator (SLOWLY) come in REAL handy!

Have a safe 4th!

Anonymous said...

You do realize that he could have easily outrun you, knocked you flat, swept your legs out from under you with his tail, seized you in his mouth, and dragged you underwater to roll and drown you while 'tenderizing' you, all in less than 30 seconds, right?

Gators are the last prehistoric creatures (aside I think from roaches) and are perfectly adapted as kill machines. If 'he' was in the pond with 'she', you are going to have a lot more gators next spring.

You were damned lucky. If he really were crazy, or even just hungry, you wouldn't have been writing this at all, 'zoom' lens or not. Please, PLEASE do not get that close to a gator again!