Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Vaunted Inaugural Post

It just so happened that I noticed the local newspaper (a term I use fairly loosely) where I typically write was editing (i.e. removing) tags I put into my posts. I tried to call them out on it but was told “we are allowed to remove anything we want at any time for any reason.” So there you have it, a local newspaper basically says, like it or lump it, we do what we want to do. I wonder how they’d feel if someone bigger than them put the clamps on their freedom of expression.

Now that’s not me saying that any private business owes me the same rights as the government. But in keeping within the context of a local paper which happens to be seeking user input, well how fair is it to ask somebody to participate in an open discussion and then promptly tell them to shut up when they don’t like where the conversation is going?

While I can’t single handedly defeat the local newspaper goons. I can write whatever I like here. And there’s really not a damn thing they can do about it. I plan on cross-posting subjects until I build up enough steam and either leave as the Interactive Content Editor invited me to do today or simply use this place as an unedited safe haven. Anyway there’s more to come, and there won’t be a need to hold back for fear of getting edited/banned/reprimanded either.

Everybody into the pool, the water’s just fine. ;o)

No comments: