Monday, August 22, 2011

A Part of the System

It's funny. Watching my little girl (the 5-year-old, AKA the Songbird) transition from daycare to school aged child... watching as she adapts and how we as parents cope with "losing our baby" and the kid we get back. I'm not saying any of this is bad, because it is going to happen no matter what. I am saying, wow, I had a preschooler and what I get back is something much better, richer... just plain more.

I think letting my kid go to school is just as much a boon to the school as I'm sure the school wants me to be assured that my daughter will be safe and learning. In return I get the future. Yeah I get the future astronaut or president or doctor or whatever. Seeing that right before your very eyes has an effect in you. I was too young to appreciate the teenager's first year. I mean I knew it was something, but I didn't write it down(at least that I can see). And I'm sorry for that but you can't change that now.

The teenager is about to be 16. Oh my god... Teenagers are full of drama and more drama and did I mention drama? Especially girls, So looking forward 10 years, it is really not going to be fun, but somehow I'll manage. Here is hoping that everyone has a good and successful school year. I will be awing the kindergarten achievements and holding on for dear life when I look at the high school. Isn't parenting a joy? Just keep looking at the hand turkey and count to ten (or 20 or 100) there is nothing to see in the high school...

No comments: