Saturday, March 20, 2010

Limoncello

So because Danny Devito said so... what I mean is, Danny is on twitter, I added him, and thus Danny was endorsing his own brand of limoncello. So my wife, seeing that I want to try this particular kind of drink, not necessarily Danny Devito brand, just the drink, buys me a bottle and slips it into my Christmas stocking. Now to be fair, this is a summer time drink, but I really wanted to try it... which is what I did... some three months later when it warmed up a bit.

Well, it tastes pretty good. Expensive, but still it is pretty good all the same. But a quick search on the internet reveals that it is pretty easy to make yourself, and I think I will. All you need is vodka, lemons, sugar and water... and time. like 80 days or something. But that is ok, I mean I aint going anywhere anyway. The first thing, that is the next time I need to look or do or anything is April 15, tax day. But I still have to wait another 40 days to actually drink it.

I looked at the local package store, (liquor store to those outside SC) and they have a very small amount of limoncello for $23.00. Using a recipe on the internet, I can make nearly a gallon for:

Vodka - $35.00
Lemons - $ 6.00
Sugar - $ 1.00
Water - Free

So about $42 bucks and I'll have about 5 maybe 10 times as much. Now I do have to wait. But I think the reward is worth it. Yes I know, I could just drink the vodka and let that be that, but I don't work that way. I want to see if making it tastes better than the food coloring, mass produced stuff, (that probably cut some corners and doesn't sit up for 80 days). We will see.

No comments: